Some families are made in the heart!

Monday, June 18, 2012

I wanna be just like you

These two faces bring such joy to my life!!!!  I honestly don't know where I would be if it were not for them.....probably out looking for them. 

My husband sings......have I told you that? His whole family sings....WELL.  Something I can't add to, but I have been convinced to do so on VERY special occasions. Thankfully there are more of them than me so they can drown me out!

But back to why I am telling you this.....Brian stepped out of his comfort zone last Father's Day (2011) and sang a special song at church.  "I Wanna Be Just Like You"  by Phillips, Craig and Dean


He climbs in my lap for a goodnight hug
He calls me Dad and I call him Bub
With his faded old pillow and a bear named Pooh
He snuggles up close and says, "I want to be like you"
I tuck him in bed and I kiss him goodnight
Trippin' over the toys as I turn out the light
And I whisper a prayer that someday he'll see
He's got a father in God 'cause he's seen Jesus in me

Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be like me

Got to admit I've got so far to go
Make so many mistakes and I'm sure that You know
Sometimes it seems no matter how hard I try
With all the pressures in life I just can't get it all right
But I'm trying so hard to learn from the best
Being patient and kind, filled with Your tenderness
'Cause I know that he'll learn from the things that he sees
And the Jesus he finds will be the Jesus in me
Right now from where he stands I may seem mighty tall
But it's only 'cause I'm learning from the best Father of them all


 
Our children grow to be images of us.  As scary as that is, it's true.  If they see us dropping to our knees in difficult times, they will too.  If they see us wrapping our arms around a friend that is hurting, they will too.  If they see us dropping a plate of cookies off at the elderly neighbors house...they will too.  And on the flip side.....If they hear us belittling our neighbor, they will do the same.  If the words they speak make us cringe and we wonder where they heard them....look in a mirror. 

I am so happy that my son, has a daddy that treats his wife (me) with undying love.  He speaks to others with compassion and comfort.  He steps out of his comfort zone to speak what he believes. 

I am confident that Daylen is going to grow knowing what a good man is....for he has wonderful example of one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment